30hp Outboard shift Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30hp Outboard shift Shaft

this is a letter I sent Yamaha last week, have yet to get an answer..could someone shed some light..thanks

I have been a long time happy owner of Yamaha products.

Gentlemen, I would appreciate your help. I have a 1992 30 hp Yamaha Outboard model C30ELRQ. I recently took it to Darrell’s Marine a Yamaha Dealer in Astor, Fl. I had the engine serviced to include a new water pump. On leg installation some how the shift shaft came up some and would not go down, mechanic used pliers around shaft with hammer then screwdriver to pry down shaft with no avail, leg had to be taken off then lower leg was put in a vise and the shift shaft was jiggled and prop turned in both directions then shift shaft fell back in clog and now everything shifts and works normally.

I was told that the pin that goes thru the housing close to the leading edge located by water pump had broke for this to happen.

Mechanic said he called Yamaha Tec support 27th Dec and that you all indicated that the said pin holds the shift from going to high had to break and pin parts fell in gear case, even though you could see both ends of the pin on each side of the housing.

I have called numerous local Yamaha Tec’s and they said this is totally incorrect that the shift shaft can on occasions move up out of clog during installation and then has to be jiggled in and if it drops back in place and works normally nothing has broke and go ahead and use it.

Can you PLEASE tell me the answer I would sincerely appreciate it.
    Last edited by stinger; 01-10-2010, 11:24 AM.
Working...
X