Stiff Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff Steering

I have a 1998 150TLRY. About a year ago I replaced the steering cable due to stiff steering and I could see signs of deterioration on the cable sleeve. Anyway, the steering remained very stiff after replacing the cable and the gear behind the steering wheel with a new teleflex kit. It is well lubricated, but it has become even stiffer over the past few months. At idle it really isn't too much of a problem, just a little stiff. However, on a plane I have to exert tremendous pressure. I am afraid the cable will snap due to the strain.

The motor is difficult to move side to side without the cable attached to the motor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds like your problem is in the motor pivot. Have the motor pivot bearings zerk fittings been greased/maintained? Maybe those bearings got water in them and have corroded and need to be replaced. Is this a saltwater motor?

Comment

I have greased all the fittings I could find on several occasions. I have read somewhere that the old grease in the pivot could cause problems, but I have no idea how to remove the old grease. The motor is used in salt water, but there is very little corrosion evident. Maybe I will try removing the zerk fitting and use a hair dryer to heat the old grease.

Comment

When you pump in mew grease can you see any grease comming out? If you can just keep adding grease til you see the new stuff.

Also like Robert suggested the bearings may be corroded due to lack of grease and will need replacing.

Even if you heat things up you will probably still need to pump out the old grease to remove it. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ken52 View Post
          When you pump in mew grease can you see any grease comming out? If you can just keep adding grease til you see the new stuff.

Also like Robert suggested the bearings may be corroded due to lack of grease and will need replacing.

Even if you heat things up you will probably still need to pump out the old grease to remove it. good luck.
          Theres always a problem when using a grease gun it always finds the easyest path and comes out . I never use a grease gun but CRC with a fine tube spray it penetrates and eventually will free the pivot shaft . Every time you bring the boat home and wash it down spray crc or WD 40 all over the pivots top and bottom . Id seriously look at hydralic steering as well its a mile better and far less hasssles .

Comment

Originally posted by tunnels View Post
            Theres always a problem when using a grease gun it always finds the easyest path and comes out . I never use a grease gun but CRC with a fine tube spray it penetrates and eventually will free the pivot shaft . Every time you bring the boat home and wash it down spray crc or WD 40 all over the pivots top and bottom . Id seriously look at hydralic steering as well its a mile better and far less hasssles .
            I don't think the manufactures would put zerk fittings on the motor if they wanted you to use a liquid spray. Liquid spray would be fine on the outside but on bearing surfaces you need the properties that grease gives.

I couldn't agree more about hydralic steering being easier, but it to has to be maintained and serviced.

Comment

Hydraulic steering is significantly easier to control a 150HP plus engine. However, I am not willing to make that investment in this particular boat. I have had many engines over the years with cable steering and this is by far the most difficult to steer even with a new cable steering system. Thanks for all the advice gentlemen.

Comment

I am in the saltwater enviroment all year and for sure your problem is the sum of old grease (hard or dried out) plus some corrosion. In my experience you dont need to pull appart but force new grease insise will moving your engine side by side (keep applying the grease) and work the pivot to lossen it. If it did not work then need to put appart but for sure dont need new parts, just wash them with solvent, grease and re-assemble them. Good Luck!

Comment

I have the same problem with heavy steering with what I assume is a case of old grease and a bit of corrosion in a 1989 140HP Yamaha.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of some instructions on how to remove the bearings so I can clean out all the old grease?

Cheers,
                  Dave

Comment

How to separate the motor pivot for a 2005 75TLRD

I have the same problem as Brisco58. When the steering cables are removed the motor is very hard to turn side-to-side. There is some rust on top of the pivot. The grease gun only feeds grease out the bottom. The motor is always used in salt water. It appears that I need to separate the motor pivot but would line some instruction on how and that it takes to do that please. Someone told me the head must be removed but not sure. Thanks much

Originally posted by Brisco58 View Post
                    I have a 1998 150TLRY. About a year ago I replaced the steering cable due to stiff steering and I could see signs of deterioration on the cable sleeve. Anyway, the steering remained very stiff after replacing the cable and the gear behind the steering wheel with a new teleflex kit. It is well lubricated, but it has become even stiffer over the past few months. At idle it really isn't too much of a problem, just a little stiff. However, on a plane I have to exert tremendous pressure. I am afraid the cable will snap due to the strain.

The motor is difficult to move side to side without the cable attached to the motor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X