HELP 60hp 4 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP 60hp 4 stroke

I have a 60 hp 4 stroke 2002 model that has been hard to start from day one.This engine has been in several shops with no help,after you start in once it will start with no problem the rest of the day.I just got it out of the shop yesterday and no help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Does your starting procedure include pumping the primer bulb until hard, operating your choke/prime start/mixture enrichening device, setting your throttle in the correct position? Clean spark plugs? Good Luck!

Comment

I always pump the bulb,if you raise the warm up lever up it will no start at all.This engine has no choke ,I've been told by several machinecs it has a enrichment primer no one can show me this or repare if it is defective.This engine has had the problem from day one.The only way to start it is to open the throttle wide open 10 to 15 times.Any help would be appricated any suggestions I will try.

Comment

Have you tried a different gas tank??......I had a 25HP Yamaha 2 stroke that had the same issues and the tank was the culprit.....

Comment

I have changed tank by accident ,I used to have a 12 gallon now a 6.HOPEfully some one will have the same engine and have figured this problem out.

Comment

I believe you have a prime start systm on your motor. Do a forum search for prime start and read all about it.

The lifting of the idle lever cancels the starting program on the motor.
            The owners manual for prime start systems say to just turn the key for 5-10 seconds then let sit for a few and then repeat. If your system is working properly it should start in 2 or 3 tries and the CDI will advance the timing until the temp censer tells the CDI that the motor is warm and then it will retard the timing back to it idle timing set point.
            The extra needed fuel for cold start is suppose to get fed through the prime start pump and orifices through the valve when it is in normal position and close itself off once the unit warms up. If the diaphragm is bad or the orifice plugged it will not function properly. If the orifice is plugged you can turn the red lever to open and it should start but you will need to turn it to off to keep it running

Comment

yam9940 thank you ,the info was right on target,I just started the motor in 18 degree weather no problems.I took you advice and did a search the information was priceless.

Comment

Working...
              X