lower unit..HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower unit..HELP

I have a 92 long shaft 30hp Yamaha Outboard.

While the lower unit was in a vise the gear shift was shifting normally into forward neutral and reverse. I watched the mechanic (super nice guy) completed the new water pump installation.

Lower leg was bolted up and the gear shift shaft was in the up position, in order to get the gear shift shaft down to connect to the upper linkage several attempts were made to push the rod down by PRYING the nut on shaft in a downward direction WITH A SCREWDRIVER LEVERAGING ON THE ENGINE HOUSING PLUS TWISTING THE GEAR SHAFT LEVER with no success. Leg was removed and still stuck in the up position it was determined that the pin broke and then a botch attempt without proper tools to remove prop shaft was made….

I WAS TOLD THAT THE PIN WAS PROBABLY READY TO BRAKE AND IT JUST HAPPEN TO BRAKE AT THAT TIME………….I HAVE A HARD TIME BELEIVING THIS.

ANYONE PLEASE SHED LIGHT ON THIS?

Thanks in advance.

aL
    Last edited by stinger; 12-27-2009, 12:11 PM. Reason: info

May have been in a bind or worn pin, it's hard to say.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Shift rod stuck in gear

With the lower unit, follow shift rod down to seal boot plastic base and loosen philips head screw that holds boot base to lower unit. You might have to push in the two tiny rubber nibs from the outside (two little holes, opposite sides where boot base is) to free base/boot assembly. Once you pull boot base up the shift rod can be lifted and reseated. Check rod movement then put base back.

The rod gets stuck when boot base moves up slightly when dropping lower unit while shift rod is still connected. When you first remove philips screw to base you might notice it was slightly loose...

Hope that does it for you...

Comment

Working...
      X