1987 25hp Yamaha shift linkage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 25hp Yamaha shift linkage question

i am trying to pull the foot off the motor to check the impeller but i cant get the linkage apart. I loosened the retaining nut and started to back off the adjustment nut and it wont move. any ideas? i'm not familiar with this motor. thanks!

Look at the diagram on the following link:

Yamaha Outboard Parts 1987 25ELH CONTROL ENGINE Diagram

Looks to be a cotter pin on the shift rod......Items 42 & 43.....

Make sure you pulled the anode plate because there is usually a hidden mount bolt above it.......

Good Luck

Comment

Im trying to disconnect #44 from #43 so i can drop the foot. maybe its just rusted or something.

Comment

It most likely is rusted it place. I have a 86 here that is the same way. I was taking apart one some discarded just to see what all was wrong with it and I could not get it to come loose either. I ended up turning it hard enough to break the whole shaft loose from the connector at the top of the shaft. I just went outside and found the shaft and it is still froze up. I never tried to remove the long adjusting nut from the shaft, but it looks like it should turn. If you can not beat on it or put heat on it then you may have to cut it of and buy replacement parts. But even if you cut it you will still need to get to the top connection to put a new one back on , so your best plan would be to get to the top connection and disconnect it there. That may take pulling the power head, I do not remember how it looked or how hard it is to get to that connection. A manual may help.

Comment

I'll take a second look at it today when i get home. if it is frozen, I'm going to have some issues with the local mechanic. He said he inspected the impeller and it looked good. If he couldnt get the foot off, how did he inspect it? oh well, thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
          X