possible starter problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible starter problem?

I have a 1996 Yamaha Pro V 150. Recently, there have been 2 times where, when I turned the key, there was a slight click and then nothing. I would turn the key again...nothing at all. I then trimmed the motor up and down and the motor started without any problem. The battery was fully charged. The electrical connections look fine. Does this sound like a starter problem and if so, is there something simple that I can do or do I need to replace the starter?

Sounds like a loose or corroded electrical connection. Check main battery cables at the battery, ground connection on motor and connection on side of starter. Battery cable may be corroded inside rubber cover and need to replace entire cable. Check connections at starter relay also. The connections can look fine from the first glance but have corrosion deposits that need removal with a wire brush or 3M pad. Good Luck!

Comment

Save your self some time and hassle, and definitely look at the main battery cables. I just went through 2 days of misery and had the same problem. My cables looked brand new, clean tight connections, proper voltage at the starter solenoid and guess what.... The cables were bad! Good luck !

Comment

Working...
      X