Looking at 1988 V6 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at 1988 V6 200

Hello all, I am looking at buying a 1988 Ski Centurion with a Yamaha 200 V6 hanging out back. I have been hearing contradicting things about this motor. Everything from they were grenades to they run like scalded dogs. So, I am asking is this a good one to get?
    Thanks for the help.

Yamaha200V6.jpg

Best way to evaluate that 200HP Yamaha is take the boat out on the lake/river and run it for a couple of hours. Is it a fresh or salt water motor? Look the motor over real carefully. What has it been used for and how well has it been maintained? If the motor runs fine and the price is low enough then you could buy it with the intention of spending some money on it to "bring it up to current maintenance", like new water pump, thermostat, plugs, filters, etc. Good Luck!

Comment

It has been in freshwater, no corrosion. too late in the season to hit the river with it. (its 33* today)
      I am more interested in knowing how reliable these motors are. I understand that a 21 year old is going to need some basic tuning and such, I have no problem with that. I just don't want to be buying a motor that is known for short lifespan and or high cost to operate. What kind of cylinders do they use? i.e. coated aluminum good for one rebuild then its junk or are they sleeved. Things like that.
      Thanks for the help.

Comment

I see that many of you have read this but few replies. Does anyone have any experience with this motor? I really like this boat, just can not afford to buy a money pit right now.

Comment

These motors can be as good or bad as their maintenance history, but no way would I buy a 20 year old motor without running it on the water for an hour or 2. You may have to put on your long johns and take that boat to the lake and run it, or otherwise it's pretty much a "pig in a poke". These motors are mostly very good and rarely "wear out", usually die due to a plugged carb(lean condition) or a failed cooling system(lack of maintenance). Yamaha outboards are not like Yugo's or other crappy designs. It's all about the maintenance. Take it to the lake and Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks, I was just worried about getting stuck with a motor that was not too good 20 years ago and could be awful now.

Comment

One think you should check is the shift shaft rod ..they will rust and break and can be very $$$ to replace

Comment

Thats what I'm talkin about! Thanks for the tip.

Comment

for the shaft look where its exposed just above the lower unit, because it was fresh water it may be fine.

compression check cyls and pressure check lower unit.

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                    These motors can be as good or bad as their maintenance history, but no way would I buy a 20 year old motor without running it on the water for an hour or 2. You may have to put on your long johns and take that boat to the lake and run it, or otherwise it's pretty much a "pig in a poke". These motors are mostly very good and rarely "wear out", usually die due to a plugged carb(lean condition) or a failed cooling system(lack of maintenance). Yamaha outboards are not like Yugo's or other crappy designs. It's all about the maintenance. Take it to the lake and Good Luck!
                    Excellent advice.These were great motors and still are if they were taken care of.I used to race a 1986 220 Excell in the late '90's and it held up through 3 seasons while Mercs were coming apart all around me(LOL).Anyway,I still have a HEAVILY modified 1987 Excell(radical porting,finger ports,high compression,yada,yada),and it is doing fine.My stock 1992 ProV 200 has never even had the heads off and has never needed anything but normal maintenance.I love these V6's.As was said,DO NOT even consider it without a long test ride.You may want to wear something warm on your head as the cold air gives me a headache when going fast(test drive it like you stole it!).

Comment

Thanks guys, that is whay I was hoping to hear.
                      Will have to get the Carhearts out and hit the river.

Comment

the one thing i hate about the yamaha motors is the dital gauges i have a 1989 200hp and would love to convert the ditigal gauges to antalog gauges i here it can be done and in the spring i will give it a try

Comment

I owned a 1989 Yamaha V6 excel which is basiclly the same engine but with one of Yamaha first computer ignitions.In the 15 years i owned this engine the only thing I replace was the shift shaft,but the one you're looking at being a freshwater engine the shaft my be ok,about 1/2 inch of the shaft is visable on the very front of the leg it should be at least the diamater of a pencil.I had great luck with my V6 excel and sold it only because I got a good deal on a newer 250.Good luck

Comment

I think they are great motors. I've got 2 1989s on a 31 ft pilothouse and neither one has been rebuilt. Shift shaft and tilt tube are trouble spots in saltwater....they didn't go to stainless until mid 90s.

Check compression before buying!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, will have to look close at this motor. Anyone know if they came with sleves in cylinders?

Comment

Working...
                              X