f225 blows fuel pump fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f225 blows fuel pump fuse

I have an 04' f225 and the 5amp fuel pump fuse keeps blowing when the key is turned on. any ideas?

Probably the fuel pump, may need to be cleaned or replaced.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I just replaced the fuel pump and still have the same issue. also I have good fuel flow from tank to outlet of new pump and motor will run fine if primer bulb is pumped.

Comment

Need to check for fuel restrictions in fuel delivery lines and check for air leaks or bad connections on fuel lines and filters. I assume you replaced the lift pump, one mounted external of VST and not the VST pump(high pressure)
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

yes, the lift pump is new. I will check for restriction and air leak in fuel lines.

Comment

Might try running on a portable 6 gallon tank connected to fuel fuel, if runs good on portable then problem is in boat fuel system.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Blown fuses means pulling too many amps. Look for things that would cause that , like short in wiring. Did you test the old pump to see if it runs out side if the system?

Comment

let me go through the time line again. the lifter pump fuse blew while on the water. pump primer bulb to get home. local mechanics say pump is bad. get new lifter pump and runs fine in yard for 45 minutes. launched boat next day and motor ran fine during warm up and out of the harbor. ran boat at speed for maybe 4 minutes and then it died. fuse was blown again. tried putting new fuse in and it would blow as soon as the key was turned on. drained filters and then reprimed fuel system. still blew fuse. pumped primer bulb to get back to harbor. today in yard went through wiring and all looked good, no chaffing or shorts located. put new fuse in and tried the key. no blown fuse and pump worked. ran boat for 30 minutes and no blown fuse. launched boat and ran around for an hour, no blown fuse. some what confused and not very confident in motor yet. will try to run boat again soon. will update. thanks

Comment

I do not know how a relay could cause the fuse to blow ,but Just-in-Time does this for a living, so I would look into that.
                  Maybe moving wiring around looking for the problem changed things.

Comment

I am having the exact problem with my f225 . After bloging I think I have the problem diagnosed. I have a alumium tank and it reacts poorly with ethnel gas. A crisco like jelly forms and clogs the water seperator. I have decided to take the seperator apart and try to get some idea of how long I can run before it needs replacing. I will start off running for 10 hrs and plan on replacing the filter inspecting and acess the time between filter changes hopefully with stablesiers added and replacing the filter often I will get the cresco out of the tank. I will keep you posted.

Comment

Ok Go To You Other Post

Comment

F225 blows fuel pump fuse

My 04 Yamaha 225 TXRC is doing the same thing. I have replaces the lift pump and the pump inside of the reservoir a few times. The lift pump works for a few minutes and then blows the fuse. I have checked for contaminates in the fuel, fuel flow to the pump, and all is well. Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by tight lines View Post
                          My 04 Yamaha 225 TXRC is doing the same thing. I have replaces the lift pump and the pump inside of the reservoir a few times. The lift pump works for a few minutes and then blows the fuse. I have checked for contaminates in the fuel, fuel flow to the pump, and all is well. Any recommendations?
                          You are riding on a post that is over six (6) years old. You will get better results if you start your own new thread. And provide the complete engine model. I am guessing this is a four stroke F225TLRC.

How are you determining when the lift pump is working by the way?

Comment

like it was said, this is a dirt old post.

however it is a stupidly simple DC circuit.
                            just like your running lights or bilge pump.

Yamaha engineers designed the lift pump to draw a maximum of 5 amps.
                            anymore and the fuse blows protecting the circuits,ECU and limiting the possibility of fire.
                            what can cause it to blow fuses.

a short between the pump and the fuse.

a short in the pump brush/commutator.
                            a locked up pump.
                            an overheated pump(lack of fuel).
                            and back to that relief valve, if that valve sticks shut the pump will run in a stalled condition when the VST needle is closed.
                            this can also cause heat and blown fuses.

see how stupidly simple this is?

at key on the lift pump is supplied with 12v via a 5 amp fuse.
                            once running the ECU supplies the ground path to run the pump.
                            below 1200 RPM this path is applied for 10 seconds and taken away for 20 seconds.
                            above 1200 RPM this path is continuous.

the reason?????
                            below 1200 RPM the pump can supply way more fuel than the VST can handle.
                            to prevent the pump from running in a stalled condition at low speeds they cycle it on and off.

the old OX66 EFI motors did a similar trick only they used a resistor to drop pump operating voltage at low speeds.

Comment

Working...
                            X