2002 115HP starting/running problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 115HP starting/running problem

Friend recently bought boat with 2002 115HP 2-stroke, model 115TLRA. Started boat at home on muffs, it started and ran fine. Filled fuel tank at gas station and added Startron. Put boat in water, it started then spewed white smoke and stalled. Can't restart except with starting fluid-bad idea I know. Plugs were fouled so we replaced them, same problem. Huge amounts of white smoke and it won't start. No crap in sediment bowl and can't see any water in fuel. Suspect gas of course and will try with external tank and gas. Did notice that oil leaked from the reservoir and down the shaft, fixed that leak. Is white smoke from excessive oil in cylinders or could it be something else like the oil from reservoir dripped onto exhaust? Only thing that changed was the new gas. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Maybe check your fuel pump diaphragm for failure and sucking lots of gas into cylinders, causing spark plugs to be very wet with fuel. I hope that's it because it's an easy and fairly cheap fix. Otherwise you'll have to keep looking. Keep us posted on what you find. Good Luck!

Comment

compression check for head gasket leak

Comment

Update

Regapped plugs and used new gas. Now have the engine starting and idling OK. However, we still have a lot of smoke and the engine misses at higher speeds. Looks like we may have been dealing with multiple problems although it's strange that it would run great until we got gas and put it in the water. I'm now suspecting the fuel/oil mixture but why would that have changed????. Checked compression, all cylinders 120-125.

Comment

I had a oil resevoir overfilling which drains excess oil into the carbs on my 1998 200. It took quite a while to clear out the oil (it puddles in various places inside the motor until diluted with gas and burned off). After the smoke finally cleared I had to replace all the plugs again and all was well.

The float in the resevior got struck somehow that day but has never happened again.. If you tilted the motor to get to the gas station it may have been when your float stuck... Look at the resevior to see if the level is between the marks and not completely full.

Comment

Working...
          X