Digital Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Speedometer

I have a new Yamaha digital gage that displays speed, trip, fuel,... The gage was working fine but, last trip the speed and trip were not working. The trip is displayed a 0.0 and does not change. No digits are displayed for the speed. The gage initiates correctly when the key is turned on. All displays are available.

Any ideas what might be wrong before I go through the trouble of hauling the boat to the dealer. The port to the pickup seems to be clean.

biggmp,
    I just checked my digital Yamaha gauge with the ignition on - where the speed is displyed there is only a single horiz segment showing. You might try disconnecting the speedo tube at the bullet connection that is about three inches from the lower unit housing and blowing into it to see if the pickup hole is clogged. Also, with the ignition on, try blowing into the tube leading back to the gauge (I've never tried this myself)-
    I would think you should generate enough pressure to get at least a "1" to show up on the gauge.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Thank you Ken. That answers my question. My gage also shows the single bar. I must have a plug in the tube near the bullet.

I guess I need to get use to the deeper draft on my new boat. I can't seem to keep this bigger boat out of the mud. Bigger may not always be better.

Comment

The speedo on my new 200 HPDI never worked right, even from the factory. My mechanic put 4+ hours into troubleshooting it (luckly billed to Yamaha) with no luck. I had a little skeg "incident", and had to remove the lower unit for repair, and the tie wrap used to hook the speedo tubing to the lower-unit had been put on wrong and was squeezing the tubing. None of this was visible without removing the lower unit. Perhaps yours is pinched or came off. The lower units are easy to take off and check for yourself.

Comment

the lower unit ports clog easily, i always add a pitot tube.

Comment

jb,
            What do you mean "the lower unit ports clog easily, I always add a pitot tube" ?
            Ken K

Comment

My 2002 150 hpdi speedo never worked. Bad design by Yamaha. I use the gps speed #.

Comment

deerock,
                The gps reading is more accurate than what comes with any outboard - but remember you are getting "ground speed" and not "water speed" with the gps. The gps system has no idea what kind of current you are in.
                The speedo from Yamaha is fairly accurate. Did you take your boat into the dealer for service on the speedo during warranty? Do you have analog or digital gauges? Have you checked the speedo tube connections all the way from the outboard to the gauge?
                Good luck,
                Ken K

Comment

Working...
                X