99 yamaha 60hp 2stroke stater and trim prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 yamaha 60hp 2stroke stater and trim prob

My boat started fine the other day and the trim worked perfect except after trimming a little bit the tach stopped working. Trim the engine down a little and the tach starts working again. Then the next day I went to start the boat and all I get is clicking noise like the battery is dead. New battery, ohmed all the wires to relays, battery, and grounds. I have put a new start solenoid 2 months ago because of a broken terminal. Also I have voltage at the solenoid. I have had the stater checked and am told it is fine. Also if you hit the trim switch it makes a clicking noise also. As far as I see, the trim relay and start solenoid are connected together. Need any and all help!!!

look for shorts in wiring and connectors.
    check and clean grounds and other connectors.
    You say you have voltage at solenoid, are you measuring it at the terminal that goes to the starter with the solenoid energized or that it is just up to the solenoid? will it turn the motor if you jump across the solenoid?

Comment

The problem was the battery cables had too much corrosion inside. The voltage was right, and the connections were clean, but still nothing. I took my remote start and jumped between the battery and the terminal on the solenoid. Then I was able to start the motor at the ignition switch like regular. I replaced both the ground and positive cable to the motor. Back to regular! Awesome!!!!

Comment

Thanks for updating us with what you found to be the problem. A little corrosion certainly goes a long way at creating problems with these motors. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X