Lower Unit Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Oil

Just curious on what type of lower unit oil you guys are using?

I have a two stroke salt water series 150 (S150 TXRX) recently purchased used and I am going over everything and want to change out the oil and some other things before I start using.

I use the Yamalube in my motor and here at work.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I've used several different brands of marine lower unit oil(Walmart brand included) and can't really see any difference in any of them. They're 80-90 gear oil with special corrosion inhibitors in case you get some water in the lower end. I change mine once a year and the oil I drain out always looks just the same as when I put it in. I've had motors with leaking lower end seals and the oil looks like a milk shake...not good at all, especially if it's salt water! The only differences in lower end oils that I'm aware of is the newer "synthetics" and a special oil for that new Yamaha 350HP. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have a brand new bottle of Evinrude/Johnson Hi Vis gearcase lube from my last motor and was thinking of using it because it was never opened and I just bought it last year.

Comment

That should work just fine. Good Luck!

Comment

That grind-clunk sound when going in and out of gear drives me nuts. I was considering a Red Line product called Shock-Proof. Its a certified 90W but it's real thick for these slip gear applications. I use it in the Harley and it quieted the tranny up quite a bit. Anybody got any experience with this.
            1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
            1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Working...
            X