Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaskets

Concerning the red gasket washers found on the upper and lower gear lube access bolts, is it really necessary to replace these each yr when servicing? Same with the oil drain plug gasket/washer? If so, where can these be bought?

Lots of opinions on this and many folks will say replace those red washer/gaskets every year but my motor is a 1999 and I just put new ones on for the first time this year. Even the old ones I just took off still looked pretty good but maybe 10 years is enough for $2 worth of washers. Good Luck!

Comment

I've always change those washers on my boat motors and my motorcycle too. It will always be that $2 part you wished you changed that will cost you 10x more in the long run. I also worked for the military for years so I got into the habbit of changing what I call consumables whenever I do stuff like that so there is never that doubt. Just my thoughts on that!

Comment

Yep, you'll never go wrong putting new ones on every year. Heck, I'm still running the original 1999 NGK spark plugs, keep them very clean with a plug sand blaster, they look and run like new, but most folks change them every year also. I do believe a lot of perfectly good plugs with a bit of carbon on them end up in the trash cans. Whatever it takes to keep your motor running and for your peace of mind on the water.

Comment

Working...
        X