Flushing outboards with vinegar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing outboards with vinegar

Any one ever flush there outboards with vinegar to help remove salt deposits

I've used white vinegar in coffee pots and on ceramic tile floors but never thought about an OB. Not sure of the reaction the salt & vinegar would have but I'll bet it's gonna foam like he**.

Comment

Dunno - vinegar will certainly react (and foam) on lime and calcium deposits, but I'm just not too sure it will do anything on salt...

Comment

Ok PO, looks like you're elected to be the first one to try this. I cring everytime I replace the stats and see all that salt crap in there and would sure like to try something that disolved it. I flush all the time and still get it. Be sure to let us know how you make out.
        1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
        1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Salt-Away Home Page

My friends Dad used something like this and said it works wonders. Which ever product he used, it "allegedly" stopped further deposits from forming (according to him)??? I only flush after each use.

Comment

The product is called Salt-Away and it is an inhibited acid that can be circulated through the motor to remove salt deposits. Of course vinegar is an acid and may work also. If I were doing this myself I would run my motor in a 55 gallon plastic drum and add my acidic product with the motor running until I saw some foam or signs of deposit removal, then flush with fresh water and a mild base to neutralize the acid. I used to acid clean boilers like this but of course they were heavy iron and steel and not near as delicate and sensitive as the non-ferrous metal/aluminum outboard motor. The whole trick is to get the salt without attacking the motor. Probably the Salt-Away has been developed and proven to work without damage. Good Luck!

Comment

Well i chickened out on useing vinegar to flush my outboard ...the bigest reason was i was not sure how the vinegar would act on the aluminum outboard parts how ever i have read a lot of good things on Saltaway and after shopping around got a fair price on it and will give it a try...if there are any stories out there with the use of saltaway please post

Comment

Working...
              X