Long cranking time before fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long cranking time before fire

89 200s, in cool weather (below 50 deg). They take a long time (30 seconds or longer) to fire. I fully primed the carbs before starting and also the electric choke is closing.

In warm weather 5 seconds is all it takes.

Almost seems like the ignition isn't even trying to fire. Could it be a low voltage somewhere in the ignition?

Batteries are fully charged and the motors are cranking fast.....

Pump bulb up hard, if motors have prime start, then leave idle throttle fully closed. If manual and or electric chokes then open idle throttle up a bit. Are your plugs good and clean and battery with a fresh/strong charge for a good spin? Are your carbs clean? Good Luck!

Comment

Plugs are clean. Maybe I'll try squeezing the primer bulb up harder.
      Yes, cranking nice and fast.

Maybe nature of the 2-stroke beast?

Comment

If your motor has chokes and not the prime start, then open up your idle throttle lever a bit to start. May have to experiment around with your starting procedure to get that "just right" combination. My motor has the automatic prime start system and the idle throttle has to be closed during cold starts. I crank on my motor about 2 or 3 seconds, stop, then crank again and she'll fire right up. Clean plugs and strong battery always helps. Pump bulb until it's hard. Good Luck!

Comment

Yes, I always crack the throttle some before starting cold.
          Does the primer buld actually fill the carbs or just the lines and fuel pump? Seems like the carbs are waiting for the pumps to fill them up.......

Comment

Yes, the primer bulb pumps fuel up into the carbs. It's basically a hand operated fuel pump. Once the carbs are full and the floats move up and close the needle valves, then the bulb should be hard. All the needle valves and check valves in the fuel delivery system need to work correctly to maintain "prime". Some of the choke type motors can be tough on cold starts. My 90HP is a prime start motor which is a tricked-out mixture enrichening pump system mounted on the middle of 3 carbs, and it works pretty darn well. Try adjusting your idle throttle setting for the easiest starting. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
            X