90 hp no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 hp no power

I have a carborated 90 4 stroke that was running great and all of a sudden spuddered a little and died with a burning smell from the cowling. I have no power now from the key switch or trim and tilt on the motor itself yet I have good 12v from the battery. I did find a 30amp mini fuse on the starter side of the motor blown. When I went to replace it, it blew right away. Where can I start to look is it a bad key switch. All my grounds are clean

May be a short in a relay, remove that plastic cover over the electricals. Disconnect the battery first. Good Luck!

Comment

All I see is the two fuse holders with red wires in them. Ones a 20 amp and the other is a 30 amp. The 30 is what keeps blowing. Which relay should I loom for. Is this common

Comment

It's for sure you have a short/electrical problem and the fuses are working as planned. Probably need a manual with wiring diagrams, hopefully one of the "electrical gurus" on this forum can guide you more directly to your problem than I can. At least it sounds like just a matter of finding the short and fixing it, so it should be fairly easy and inexpensive. Good Luck

Comment

Also, since my motor is just like yours, I'll be very interested to learn what/where the problem is, so please keep us posted! Thanks!

Comment

I figured it's a short just wanna know where if I should be looking for a ground short or a positive short. Here is another tid bit. We use te boat as a bait boat. It's a skiff at our bait shop. Every so often when you are standin in water it feels like you get a lil jolt wen you start the boat with the key

Comment

Isolate components, disconnect main 10 pin wire harness to key switch try new fuse. Disconnect voltage regulator, retry. Same with power trim relay.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

It ended up being the voltage regulater. What a pain in the a$$

Comment

Working...
                X