X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim and Tilt 1998 ox66

Hi,

I have a 1998 250hp OX66.
    I've read a bunch of posts regarding trim and tilt problems and I believe I have a bad relay: the engine will trim and tilt down no problem but when attempting to trim up I will usually just hear a click. This happens with either the remote switch or with the switch at the engine. I say usually because on occasion if I toggle the switches enough the engine will trim and tilt up. At first this would only happen on occasion but now it is very frequent. Is it possible for the relay to work like this intermittently if it's going bad? Where would I check for a bad ground connection/corrosion?

I performed a voltage test on the relay as I've seen suggested on other posts and the voltage drops when going up or down but never below 10V. I also tried tapping the trim motor while pressing the up button with no response. It has always worked going down.

This forum is a great resource and has been a great learning tool for me. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Carlos Smith

It probably is a bad trim relay, check the ground wires at relay for good connections.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks - I'll check on it and update

Comment

Relays do in fact wear over time.

Comment

Working...
        X