Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alarm bells ringing

hi I have a problem with oil alarms going off
    It only happens now and then at full throttle or rough water.Ive bled oil lines, Checked fluid levels etc. The mechanic says to start replacing parts till we get the right one , an expensive option to say the least.

when it happens is your main tank full...and your SURE its not a temp alarm?

Comment

Its either the remote tank quantity sensor or the primary tank quantity sensor, or maybe the water sensor for the fuel filter. You have to remove the sensor from each oil tank and test them. Are you sure its the oil tanks and not the water sensor for the fuel filter under the hood? Do you have a service manual for your motor? If not, go to www.Yamahapubs.com and order one. It'll have all the test proceedures in there.

Mike......... Miami, FL

Comment

thanks for the the suggestions
        I've tried making sure the tank on the motor is full to overfull and this seemed to work but the work was intermitant that day say I'll try the temp sensor until I can get my hands on a manual

Comment

hamstrung,
          The temp sensors (thermo switches) can give you false overheat alarms. I don't know what motor you have, but the V-blocks have one on each cylinder bank. You can remove the switches fairly easily and test them in hot water using an accurate thermometer and digital multi-meter. They should close around 180 degrees. I had one that started closing around 130 (after working fine for three years) and was giving me false overheat alarm for any rpm above 4000.
          Good luck,
          Ken K

Comment

thanks for your suggestions there was one bit of info I forgot , when the alarms go off I return to neutral and they stop sometimes they go off again but generaly it wont return for quite awhile

Comment

hamstrung,
              Another possibility for alarms going off at high speed might be restriction in oil line from the primary tank to the oil injector. This can happen when different kinds of oil are mixed in the same vessel - they can react with each other and form a gel/sludge in the bottom of the oil tank. Try removing the line between the primary tank and the oil injector and make sure it is clean. Also you need to check the bottom of the primary tank to see if there is gel/sludge in the bottom - if there is, you will need to clean out the entire oil tank/hose system.
              I had this happen to me years ago with twin Suzuki 140 outboards 60 miles offshore - had to come in on one engine -took five hours to get back to port. Back then there was TCW-2. Maybe TCW-3 is better about forming gel/sludge when mixed. I don't know because I am running a premix 115 now.
              Good luck,
              Ken K

Comment

Hamstrung, I had the exact same problem. For a year...Randomly hit a big wave, alarm sounds,RPM's drop, pull throttle back and it is fine for a while till you hit another big bump.

One day I lucked out. The alarm sounded so I stopped to try to find a loose wire and noticed that the tilt did not work either. So I played w/ (squeezed tight) all the connections under the dash while holding the trim button and found the culprit. It was a loose connection on one of the main wire harnesses at the helm. I think it was the one going to the key switch and obviously the binnacle control(throttle) trim switch. (refer to your wiring diagram if you still have it) It was a white round 5-pin(not sure) that was taped up. I loosen the tape,separated the connector and slid a rubber plug that was holding the pins in their seats. I re-seated the pins, slid the plug back down, reconnected and taped. Never had the problem since.

Email me if you want more info. or a copy of the wiring diagram. It is pretty standard for all models.

Comment

Working...
                X