tough to start 50 hp 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tough to start 50 hp 2 stroke

I have a new 50 hp 2 stroke. Ever since I got her, she's really tough to start the first time. After that, its not a problem the rest of that day. I am just through with the break-in period and she is running on fresh gas. Any suggestions?

Tilt engine down all the way, pump up primer bulb till firm, start engine at idle speed without giving it any throttle at all.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I always have the engine tilted all the way down and pump the bulb until very firm. I'll try starting without any throttle. Thanks. I always push in the key,(choke), when first starting. Do you think that is appropriate?

Comment

If this is a newer model 50 it has prime start which is an auto choke system and is not connected to key switch choke.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yes. It is a 2009. I'm curious...does adding throttle at the start turn off the automatic priming system? If so, that could certainly be my problem. I'm used to starting that way from my 1998 proV 150.

Comment

Opening the throttle plates lessens the vacumn needed to pull fuel through prime start system.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

OK. Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

Comment

You can research my previous posts, I had the same problem (S)

Mine boiled down to fuel hose routing, bad primer ball ( 4 0r 5 of them) I currently have a Evinrude/Johnson/Bombomdier and it works great.

Also the boat mounted fuel tank anti-siphon valve was removed.

Lastly a low (but still cranking) battery will cause the starter to drop out (during repeated start attempts)and make you think it is not getting fuel .

I checked all of the book carb settings and all were OK

I also changed all of the fuel lines and the 50 micron fuel filter.

All seems well now.

Cheers !!!

Comment

Working...
                X