50 TLR Exhaust Cover bolt #13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 TLR Exhaust Cover bolt #13

To clean and inspect the internal fuel strainer I removed the oil tank on my 50TLR. One of the three bolts also secures the exhaust cover. The service manual shows Loctite 567 on the other 13 bolts in the cover but no indication for the one shared with the oil tank. Any idea if it should also have the 567 and if not, what should I use on the threads for corrosion protection (light coat of marine grease?). As for torque, marking on the cover shows 5.8 ft-lbs. Should I use this or the default of 5 ft-lbs shown in the general table?
    Here is the history. I managed, although using a torque wrench set to 5.8 #, to break bolt 13 during re-assembly. I was lucky in that enough protruded from the crankcase that I was able to get hold of it with vice grips and turn it out. Whew! I had used 567 on the threads.
    New gaskets and a complete set of exhaust cover bolts on the way!
    Knowing that lubrication changes the bolt stretch at a given torque and that 567 has Teflon in it, which is an approved substitute for the 572 called for in the service manual, I wonder if the 5.8# needs to be reduced?
    Thanks
    Dean

I would use grease or anti-sieze on bolts not Loctite. First torque is 2.9 ft lbs and second torque is 5.8 ft lbs on exhaust cover bolts is what is listed in service manual.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X