No announcement yet.

warming up outboard, why so important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warming up outboard, why so important?

Just wondering why it's so important to warm up an outboard before you go full throttle in the middle of summer. Is this just for two strokes? I ask because no one ever cares to warm up a car engine in the middle of summer so wondering why outboards are so different.

It's highly recommended in the Yamaha Outboard owners manual. I usually start my motor first and let it idle/warm up while loading passengers/fishing gear/whatever into the boat, so no problem with the warm-up. Why would anyone not want to warm up the motor, at least for a few minutes? Good Luck!

Comment

Especially important on two stokes because the pistons expand at a different rate than the cylinders do and if she isn't warmed up slowly you can cause a piston to cold sieze in the cylinder also cause sticking and scraping of the cylinder walls.

Here is a test......Wake the wife up like a drill seargent and force her to run around the house at full throttle for three minutes and see if you dont get locked up like a tight piston in a cylinder

Comment

I love Sigmas reply...:-) I will need try try that with some protection...

Anyway best to warn up for proper lubrication to all cylinders and to reach normal operating temp, only takes about 2 min with my 2 stroke Yamie

Comment

Working...
        X