First Boat engine/alarm issues? HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Boat engine/alarm issues? HELP!

Hello, this is my first post on this forum, I bought my first boat a few months ago, it is powered with a 60 hp 2 stroke that i believe is a 97 I am going by what the previous owner says, but have no conformation on year or model and would like to know that if anyone has a tip for that? The problem is i just got the boat outta the shop, I had new seals and a water pump put in, they also shot some carb cleaner up in the engine as well. I am having a lot of trouble getting her to turn on. It can take up to 5 minutes to get cranked when she has been sitting for a week or so. I take the boat out yesterday, it is running good at top speed, and will turn on first time after I finally get her going. So I slow down and am just barely in gear cruisin really slow when all of a sudden the alarm goes off? The motor does put off a good bit of smoke but water is coming out the pea hole with no issue. after turning the switch and the alarm still buzzing for a few minutes I waited about 5-10 minutes and tried again it kick on no alarm? I ran around at different speeds and still no more alarm? This was concerning to me but i have no idea why it is doing this all of a sudden? The guys at the shop couldn't get the alarm to turn on either? Thanks for the help

Barry

Maybe some seaweed/plastic/paper/obstruction around water intake on foot of motor? They will do that sometimes. Good Luck!

Comment

As far as the year goes, Yamaha here in the US gives the year with the 4th letter of the Model # . The model # is located small plate on the left side motor bracket along with the serial #. Thieves tend to remove this plate making it hard for the motor to be identified, hopefully that is not your case.

Look at this parts site towards the bottom of the page, it shows how the model # represents your motor.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...ard/parts.html

As far as hard starting, Could be the way you are trying to start it. If it is a Prime Start motor you pump up the primer bulb till firm to fill the carb float bowls, turn the key for a few seconds and then let sit for a few more and then repeat until it starts. Do not raise the fast idle lever while starting. Should start in 2-4 turns of the key, If it does not then there is a problem with the carbs and or Prime start System. Carbs may need to be pulled and cleaned.
      You may need to pull the thermostat and test or just replace if it has not been done for a while. Check to see if this motor has a pressure relief valve and if it does make sure if is clean and functioning properly. You may want to read other posts about alarms at low speeds if you still have problems.

Comment

Thanks so much i will go check the model # to get the year tonight, So I think I got the starting thing, and I will try it too. Not sure about the alarm but the shop is ordering me a sensor I guess?

Comment

The sensor can be tested also to see if it is a problem, but that means more shop labor if you do not do it yourself. That is why the shops do not test, just replace.

Comment

Well the shop owner has gotten to be afrined of mine andI think feels sorry for me, he charges me for half as many hours as they work, and he charges half as much an hour as everyone else so I know he isn't tryin to "get me" I just hope it is the sensor and not something else? The thing is that they replaced the selas and from what i have gathered if the water pressures slightly messed up the alarm can sound after 10 min or so of slow throttle? I guess the only way to know is let him change the sensor and get out there? How long do sensor usually last, mine is a 97 and I have no idea if it was ever replaced.

Comment

Working...
            X