Broken "rudder" on lower unit assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken "rudder" on lower unit assembly

Due to a failure of my power tilt and my lack of awareness of the release valve on the hydraulics that would permit manually raising the motor, I had occasion to pull my boat out of the water with the lower unit dragging on the concrete boat ramp for a few feet. I have since learned how to release the hydraulics.

But, in the process I have damaged that "rudder-like" protrusion on the very bottom of the lower unit below the propeller. A few inches have broken off.

The motor is on a large pontoon boat, so real fine precision/performance steering is not too important.

Two questions arise:

1. Do I need to fix/replace it all? In other words, will it steer/handle adequately as it is?

2. If the answer to #1 is "don't use it that way under any circumstances", would there be any chance of a good aluminum welder (if that's what the material is) making a "prosthetic rudder tip" (my words) and welding it on, or would I have to replace the entire lower unit housing?

I have some good photos of this item and could send them, but I can't seem to post them due to file size. (I got one of them down to 360 KB, but apaprently 97 KB is the limit)

in my opinion it is a protector of the prop and an can be run that way if it is not pushed to the side and causing steering problems, if you can live with the possibility of damaging the prop if you hit something then it should be OK. There are units that be installed that can be installed over it with epoxy that may work

Comment

Yep, They're called Skeg Guards from Cabela's, Boater's World, any marine supply place, just bolts right on to whatever is left of your skeg. No problem at all! good Luck!

Comment

Where is the hydraulic release and is that installed on all their motors?

Comment

Where is the hydraulic release

It is a single (well hidden, I might add) screw accessible from the left side (facing forward) where the motor clamps on the transom. It only has 180 degrees of travel. All the way one way means the valve is closed and the hydraulics will work, and all the way the other way means the valve is open and the hydraulics are being bypassed.

Comment

Working...
          X