Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Stroke 50hp question . . .

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2005 4 Stroke 50hp outboard and my boat had a Yamaha pre-rig setup. It has the digital tach in it. I noticed that at the bottom of the display on the gauge, there is a circle that is "empty" or "hollow" on the left, an icon that looks like a "ramp" or a bar in the middle and a circle that is completly black on the right. These are all above the oil indicator on the gauge itself.

When I operated the engine, the "ramp" or bar in the middle was always blinking. I looked in my outboard manual and couldn't seem to find what this meant as it did not describe or show any of the circles or other symbols. Just to be sure, I checked the oil and it was fine. The RPM's did not drop to 2,000 like the manual said they would if oil pressure was low and there was never any audible warning. The engine actually ran like a top.

Is this part of the gauge meant to be operational with this particular outboard or does it serve a different purpose (i.e. maybe it was meant to display info on a 2 stroke oil reservoir or something like that)? I'm just freaking out that something could be wrong even though the engine exhibited no sign of problems whatsoever.

Thanks in advance!

The gauge is set for a 2 stroke engine take it back to the dealer so they can reset gauge for a 4 stroke.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks boats.net

If that is the case, I'll just have them take a look at it when I change the fluids and have the engine serviced after the 10 hour break-in. I'm assuming it wouldn't pose a problem to wait until then?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X