Fuel management and filter setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel management and filter setup?

Well with gas prices going up I decided that a fuel management system would help strech my fuel dollars. My question, what is the proper setup?I have twin 115's without any other fuel filter other than what comes on the motors. I noticed that the fuel lines and bulbs where getting on in years so I upgraded them from 5/16 to Tempo 3/8 set moving the bulbs from by the motors to inside the boat near the fuel tank. Now I will be installing the fuel sensor for each motor. How should I add a fuel filter(s) to the system? Fuel flow is 12.5 gph times 2 = 25gph. I've seen filters with duel port or single filter per motor? Twist on type replacables look good, but are they water separators without plastic drain on bottom or is the latter better? Yamaha has a detector built in theirs along with the plastic bottom and the Fuel management systems can be wired to it does anyone use this option? hiw important is the filter size for volume and microns? Is the Racor/Parker in the same ballpark.

Dang, Speeder, you have thought of another way to spend money on those 115s! I can't help you with the fuel management system, but I can tell you that our 115s are most efficient around 4000 rpm, assuming, of course, that you are up on plane and trimmed out.
    If you do get the system installed, let me know what your max mpg and rpms are.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Yeah, well fixing and improving it as I go, we put on 95 miles in one weekend, so economy came to mind! What fuel filter are you using? Are the spin-on seperator worth it? Do you use one per motor?

Comment

Speeder,
        If you are feeding both outboards from one common tank (I assume you are), then you need only one remote spin-on. I would recommend the Racor with the clear bowl. That way you can quickly look and see water contamination. Also, keep the local filters on each motor clean, of course.
        I am only using the on-board local little filter that comes with the motor. But then I store my rig in the garage, and temps here are pretty mild, so I have not had any problems with condensation in my fuel tank.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X