2000 Yamaha 60 hp 2-Stroke premix engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Yamaha 60 hp 2-Stroke premix engine

I'm looking for some feedback on whether the "non-oil-injected" (ie pre-mix) engine has any historical problems with fouling plugs, rough idle or excessive smoking. The engine is carbed, not fuel injected ... so any issues with that? Thanks for any input on this!!

I've had carbed, pre-mix Yamaha's in 4, 15, 40 and presently, 90 horsepower and never had any problems at all. I switched from Yamalube to Pennzoil 100% Synthetic outboard motor oil several years ago and it does seem to burn cleaner with less smoke and carbon on the plugs. I also use and recommend Stabil Marine and Ringfree all the time and the addition of a fuel/water seperator to help prevent ethanol/water problems. Also a real good idea to drain each carb a few times a year. Good Luck!

Comment

Thank you for that feedback Robert. I'll definitely follow your advice on the oil, additives and carb maintenance. Thanks again - Frank

Comment

Yep, I believe the carbed, pre-mix Yamaha outboards with good maintenance are as near bullet-proof as you can get. Buy a Yamaha manual and study up on it and learn all you can. Keep clean, fresh, stabilized fuel all the time and you'll save yourself a lot of time, money and grief. Good Luck!

Comment

Mako, mine is 8 years old with 190 hours and has not hesitated to start each time. As stated above, faithfully use RingFree and Stabil Marine with each addition of gas. I am paraniod about my plugs and change them every 6 months, because they are inexpensive. I also do not leave the dock until the engine has run 5 minutes to warm up. I changed my impellor at 150 hours. I also have a stop watch wrist watch to keep accurate engine run time.

Comment

Working...
          X