No announcement yet.

Yamaha 150 4-STROKE...ENGINE VIBRATION?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 150 4-STROKE...ENGINE VIBRATION?

I recently had my engine serviced by a local marine and the mechanic was telling me about a potential problem unique to Yamaha 150 4-STROKE. He stated that the factory had to install some kind of balancer to the engine so that it would not vibrate and shake your boat to death when it’s running….he said that there is a nylon gear related to this balancer that if it strips the motor would still run but shake very hard. He warned me that with his experience that the motor would begin to wine and when the wining stops then you better be prepared. But here’s the biggest problem….he claimed that it would be about a $8000 repair to fix it. He said Yamaha Motors has done some of these repairs under warranty but it takes several weeks because of the process they require the mechanic to go through. Has anyone experienced or heard of this problem? I’m concerned because I only have 2 years left of my 5 year warranty.

We have only one, we had it going in a week at no cost to customer. Yamaha did warranty it. Even if warranty expires and you have trouble give Yamaha a call they probably will help.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Reply To Engine Vibration Issue

I Am A Yamaha Dealer And Would Be Happy To Talk To You About Your Problem.
      Regards,
      Hank
      251-421-0982 Cell
      251-928-2244 Office

Comment

Another balancer Victim!

I was going out last weekend and one of my 1996 150 yamy 4 strocks started making a horrific noise (sounded expensive) and vibrating like crazy. I immediately shut it down and *****ed back home with the other engine. "nothing like having twins!" I thought I had blown a cylinder or something. Taking the boat in to my dealer today. He says it sounds like a balancer gone bad. He has fixed three others so far. Says the problems stem from 2005 - 2007. I quess I really can't complain, my engines have over 2100 hrs each! Really haven't had a problem till now. His preliminary quote is right at $1000. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Comment

Working...
        X