Trouble shot this already - need diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble shot this already - need diagnosis

Got the 2000 C60tlry all mounted up. Every thing is great EXCEPT Trim worked fine for 5 minutes (up and down) then stopped working (down or up). It sounded like it was laboring, then fine, then laboring then stopped all together. All but the "click" on the relay.

I have the clicking at the trim relay (down and up)

I checked connections on relay; cleaned all contacts.

I checked fluid level in hydro (full)

Now, I removed the dark blue and green fromt the trim relay completely. Pulled them out of the motor housing so I have wires leading straight to the trim motor.

I followed the numerous posts on this by testing the motor. Blue wire straight to positive battery; negative battery ground to engine. NOT A PEEP.

I moved solid green from trim motor to positive on the battery and ground battery negative to the motor. NOT A PEEP.

Question - with the relay clicking but no trim up or down and testing straight at the motor, is it safe to guess it is the trim motor and purchase one or is there other tests to test the relay/motor?

I was about one step from getting into the water again

And now after looking at this I think I will hear I need a trim motor. Do I seriously have to take the motor off to get to the back #10mm bolt!!!???

Seriously, I can't get a socket into the space and a wrench is a no go. It looks like I will have to remove my motor from the transom to get to the ONE LITTLE BOLT.

Comment

in order to do it correctly you need to remove the engine get a yamaha oem motor after market suck inho

Comment

Any eyes on this?

$317 trim motor vs. a $150 after market; Is the after market THAT much worse? I don't mind paying for the Yami motor but my Express shotgun shoots the same as a Wingmaster at a lesser cost.

Comment

probable not as much quality control on the after thus cheaper. its all up to you as which to use. Have you thought of seeing if yours is repairable ata alternator/ starter shop, or by you.

Comment

Umm

I would do that, but got impatient and tried to see if I could remove the trim motor without removing the outboard and I broke off an ear on the motor housing. I am looking now to see if I can rebuild it cheaper than an aftermarket.

If the aftermarket doesn't have the strength that a Yami trim has then I will buy that, but I am monied out right now and aftermarket will work if it is good enough. I don't want to have to take off the motor again though

Comment

Oh, I should clarify the broken ear is on the trim motor housing not the outboard.

Comment

Working...
              X