Rebuild Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild Questions

I have a 1988 or 1989 Yamah 200 HP outboard that had a bad #2 cylinder. I purchased this boat and motor used back in April of this year and I found out about the problem sometime in June or July.

After getting several quotes for rebuilding the motor and looking at even buying another used one to repower I decided to rebuild it myself. I purchased 2 manuals and even an old Yamaha tech video that was done back in 1991 on power heads.

Anyway, after tearing into the outboard I discovered my crank shaft was badly pitted on the #2 journal and some grooving on #6 journal. I purchased a new crank shaft and have the block at the machine shop to re-sleeve #2 cylinder.

I was told when I purchased the boat the outboard had been rebuilt before. From the looks of the bearings it appears that the motor was rebuilt once cause the crank damage does not seem to be evident on the bearings for #2 and #6.

I am planning on replacing the bearings for #2 and #6, but I'm wondering if I should replace all the bearings are just reuse them since they look pretty good still. I figure a regular shop would replace them since they have to warranty their work, but I'm not a shop and would like to save some money. However, I'd like to get some other opinions cause the bearings look good to me.

Thanks,

JR

That is your call whether to replace or not, I do replace them. At 5000-6000 rpm's they do get a good work out.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X