175 2 Stroke Excessive Oil & Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 175 2 Stroke Excessive Oil & Smoke

Model 175TXRR (1993) Yamaha outboard on Grady. Never a problem with many hours of operation in ocean, including past several months. Went out for day, engine ran fine for about 6 hours, with no problems whatsoever.

Brought home, flushed engine, put boat away. Engine left in "down" position on trailer.

Went away for week. Came home, found about 1+ gallon of engine oil on driveway. Oil was running out of carb intakes then down and out of cowling. The main oil reservoir on top is full, to the line. No leaks there. No leaks on any hoses or fittings. Oil was only coming out of the Carb intakes.

Not all of the oil was pumped out of the reserve, and, the main oil tank on top was full. The engine tilt did not work, indicating that the battery had also died, which may explain why not all of the oil was pumped out.

Found that I had left the key "ON" and battery "ON", which I haven't done before. Put charger on battery, with switch and key turned "off".

Reserve tank in bilge area was down more than 1 gallon. Added 1+ gallon oil, hooked-up water, started engine. Wasn't too difficult to start. Of course, lots of smoke. Ran for about 10 minutes. Excessive smoke, and, unburned oil coming out through prop exhaust. Engine was loading up with oil and finally died. Did not want to restart due to unburned oil coming out with water in exhaust and mess to clean up.

I'm pretty sure that this is related to the oil pump but not sure if there is a actually a problem with the pump system itself, or, did leaving the key and battery on simply lead to this problem?

Does this sound like a clean-up (carbs, etc), or, a repair issue (pump, o-ring, etc)? If not too time consuming or difficult, I might do this myself. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. Otherwise, I could take to a mechanic.

thanks - Craig
    gilbertappraisal@socal.rr.com
    Huntington Beach, CA

I have seen it happen before when the key was left on, once got it cleaned up and battery charged back up didn't have any more problems.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks - doesn't seem so bad now

Thanks for response. That was what I was hoping to hear.

What clean-up is needed and what order of magnitude?
      Do carburetors need to be dissassembled and cleaned or just from exterior?
      Cylinders?
      Spark plugs?
      Run engine?
      Where is the excessive oil accumulated?

Also, even though the key was left "on", is there a check valve or other method to prevent this from happening that isn't working?

Craig

Comment

Working...
      X