9.9 looses its prime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.9 looses its prime

i need help. i have a 1994 t9.9elrs. the motor starts and runs for about 15 mins. then the engine looses its prime. i have changed the gas tank also new fuel pump,fuel lines,primer bulb and connectors. this did not correct the problem.

raffbone,
    Make sure the gas tank vent is open when running the outboard.
    Ken K

Comment

the tank vent is open. what is a vapor recovery kit. do they make one for a 9.9 could this help thanks

Comment

Hi raffbone i seem to have a similar problem to you
        if i can sqeeze the primer bulb quick enough the engine will keep running does this sound familiar and has anyone come up with a solution yet.

Comment

dogs and raffbone,
          If you are having to keep squeezing the fuel bulb to keep your outboard running, then the fuel
          pump is not pulling fuel out of the tank properly.
          This could be due to any of the following:
          1. weak fuel pump
          2. clogged up fuel filter
          3. fuel tank not venting properly
          4. poor fuel line connections
          When your outboard stalls out, check the fuel filter bowl. If it is not full, then I would suspect a poor connection at the input. If it is full, then any of the above could apply. Also, there may be a filter on the fuel pickup itself inside the tank - check it.
          Good luck,
          Ken K

Comment

Anyone find a solution? Maybe it isn't so simple. I have the same problem that Raffbone described with my 2000 T9.9. Runs for about 15 minutes then abruptly dies. RPM doesn't much matter. a quick squeeze of the bulb will sometimes save it.

So far I've replaced a lot of parts with brand new ones. All OEM Yamaha parts: Gas tank, fuel line complete with bulb and both connectors. All internal engine fuel hoses, spark plugs, first rebuilt the carb, then replaced it with a complete new one. So far, nothing has made a bit of difference. Also rebuilt the fuel pump even though I couldn't find a problem with it. No change. BTW, Yamaha no longer makes the original fuel pump. They offer a newer substitute fuel pump but it is a 4 hose type and comes without any instructions....
            I have one and will try it out as soon as I figure out how to hook it up.
            Scotty

Comment

Working...
            X