Questions on Multifunction Tach Operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Multifunction Tach Operation

2006 Yamaha T60TLR 4 stroke, new installation on 24' Landau (completely rebuilt, deck, carpet, new paint and future built in furniture).

I decided that repowering the boat was necessary and to protect my investment I needed to add instrumentation.

At boats.net recommendation I purchased a Yamaha 10-6YR-W0035-E2-00 : TACHOMETER RIG KIT 2 and a 703 Control Box. Nice looking units with all parts needed to do the installation.

Problem: absolutely no instructions except for setting the 3 dip switches in the back of the gage. I set them Off ON ON The first switch was set as a 3 lead trim switch based on the number of wires coming off the bottom of the throttle lever, at least it appeared to be 3 under the insulation. Was this right? The trim indicator on the tach unit did not do anything.

Problem: the RPM seemed to be much higher than what the motor was turing. Don't have an external tach to test it. Is there any on board calibration on the tach unit? I am not used to the smoothness on a 4 stroke so am I just mis-estimating the RPM?

Problem: No instructions on what the buttons on the tach do, Set and Mode. Was able to get the symbol just below the RPM reading to change to 0 and HR by pressing the Mode button. After operating just over an hour I noticed the reading as 1 hr. Does this only log on one hour increments? I tried to make something change by pressing the Set button but could not see anything change. 1 hour increments seems to be somewhat gross measurement. Is this normal operation or did I miss something?

Problem: How do you test the other light up functions of the gage like temperature and oil pressure? It would be nice if like on my cars when the unit first powered up it would light these so you would at least know that they worked to some degree.

After paying this much for a Yamaha brand name gage I would think they could eliminate a lot of complaints and questions by very little effort. I hope that with some help finishing this installation I can be changed to a supporter of the unit.

By the way the engine and pontoon boat worked great so we did have a good day on the lake yesterday. It is really nice to not have the noise and shaking and rattling of my old 1984 Johnson 60. Good old engine but just was getting tired. And the power was amazing on the Yamaha. Be glad when we finish breaking it in and can really see the power in the high thrust engine.

Thanks

Set the dip switches in tach for 2 wire trim sender, 12 pole alternator and four stroke engine.
    The owners manual explains the buttons on gauges, manual can be viewed on Yamaha's web site www.yamaha-motor.com. They are just to switch between trip meter or engine operating hours(does not show tenths of a hour) and to reset trip meter.
    When you first turn key on gauge will do a self test and warning lights will light up for a second.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks Boat.net

Thanks for the quick help. I had misread an earlier wiring diagram you had sent and mis set the dip switches. Got those old eyes you know. Lights work, the trim indicator works, wainting for good weather to come to North Texas to try the tach.

Comment

Working...
      X