precision blend timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• precision blend timing

Hi- I have a model 130ETXG PRECISION BLEND motor. I believe it to be a 1998-Here's the thing I've never seen a motor with retarded timing at idle. What is the timing supposed to be? It was about 7 DEG. AFTER top dead center?This was determined with fresh plugs at idle after warm-up with a timing lite on #1 cyl. I've adjusted it to about 2 DEG BEFORE TDC and run out of linkage length. It seems to be running much more crisp now and much cleaner (Less smoke) It is also much smoother (without load) thru the rpm range

Also is the SELOC manual a good book for this motor. I have some other questions

Just watch out for detonation and I would run 92-93 octane.

I always slightly advance timing (2-4 deg) and run 92-93 octane. Gives more power and better fuel economy. The factory setting is on the safe side for 87-89 octane. Some will argue that this is not the way to go (just leave it alone) but I've been doing this since the early 70s on all my vehicles.

Comment

thanks Bquick. Do you know what the factory spec. is for this motor? Like I said I have never seen a motor that was supposed to be timed AFTER TDC before

Comment

Idle timing and WOT timing is con*****ed by the CDI unit or computer most of them are retarded at idle. You need to get a manual for your motor to make sure what all your settings need to be before you start changing them.
        Most start at advanced timing but retard when motor is warmed up and idling and move as the TPS is moved through its range.

Comment

Thanks 99yam40, Yes I need to get a manual any ideas where to get one? Is TPS a Throttle Position Sensor? Would you think they had these in 1988?

Comment

A SELOC manual should be fine. It is much more illustrative than the Yamaha.
            Last edited by rkmartin; 09-29-2009, 11:06 PM.

Comment

For the 130ETXG(1988 model year)
              Timing at idle set at 5 degrees ATDC(plus or minus 1)
              Full advance 22 degrees
              Last edited by boats.net; 09-30-2009, 09:01 AM.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thought we were talking about 1998 model, my mistake, Do not know how the older motors con*****ed timing or if they had a TPS .Have you tried the Yamaha web site for manual. or other web sites.

Comment

The older motors use a mechanical advance, pulsor coils mounted on a advance plate.
                  Regards
                  Boats.net
                  Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                  X