Engine quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine quit

While running at low speed my 2009 F-150 four stroke (approx 60 hrs)sputtered a couple of times then just quit. I tried to restart and nothing. I couldn't even get trim to work. I figured battery but after a good wire cleaning of battery terminals and wire connections and an overnight charge on charger still nothing. I checked fuses under engine cover and all ok. Battery seems to check out at 12.9 volts and all other electronics are fine. The strange part was as I was being towed in I hit trim switch and it worked but just briefly. Sounds like a bad battery connection but I also checked voltage at starter and it reads same as battery. Other things to check?
    Last edited by PappyJ; 09-22-2009, 11:45 AM.

I have a friend who had this exact thing happen to his 2005 F150. Root cause was the main GROUND connection at the engine. I think it was "over painted" or something caused it to shut down the engine. If it were my engine, I'd remove this connection, clean the bejeezes out of it and reconnect. Easy to locate under the cowling (very thick black cable). Good luck.
    Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

Engine quit

Well now you have two friends who had the same problem. More of an install error than paint. Negative ground was just a little loose. Tightened up now everything is working. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Comment

I'll add a third. Guy in slip next to me got stranded. Same motor; wonder if it's just the F150's?? The marina thought is was his electric trim tabs shorted out. About $850 later they pulled all the grounds off and reattached and problem solved.
        1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
        1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

If you have an ohmmeter it's an easy test. Should read near zero ohms from the engine ground point to the negative lead on the battery. If not remove the ground lead, sand the paint off the engine and reattach the cable.
          Last edited by rkmartin; 09-25-2009, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X