1990 175 pres. blend, smokes at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 175 pres. blend, smokes at idle

I don't know if that is normal it smokes when idling, it runs strong and does'nt seem to smoke when running, i only smell and see the smoke when *****ing at about 1000 to 2000 rmp. it is a 2 stroke, new to me, don't have any experiance on outboards(but trying to learn). I did check compresion 115 and one at 111 psi. I also cleaned the carbs myself.(carbs were dirty) I think I did a good job now it runs perfect to me. I opened the air screws at 2 3/4,is that about right? changed plugs. Plugs were a little wet when I re-checked them. fuel filters were also changed,any advice will be appreciated. thanks

Smoke is a good thing, it will smoke at all speeds even if you can't see at high speed it will smoke.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

My 1990 200 Precision Blend smokes at idle as well and as far as I can tell it's running fine. Plugs are wet also. Not sure what you mean by "air screws". My book cover the 175 hp and calls out a Pilot Screw setting of 1 1/2 +/- 1/4 turns. Should be the same adjustment.

Comment

Might want to check the pump adjustment. I have 1989 200s and little or no smell or smoke at idle.
        Also, what oil are you using? YAMAHA semi-synthetic or Pennoil semi-synthetic smoke less compared to others.

Comment

thanks for all reply's, I guess iam in good shape, Iam using yamalube. I'll set my pilot screw's back I had them out 21/2 on each carb. really didn't notice any changes from playing around with the pilot screws,(which to me are air screws they control the air on each carb) How do you check the oil pump for correct adj.
          Last edited by alex3012red; 09-25-2009, 01:16 AM.

Comment

a manual will give you all sorts of info for your motor and save you money in the long run.

Comment

Working...
            X