Leave outboard tilted while towing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave outboard tilted while towing?

When I first towed my boat I felt that I should tilt it up to keep it high off the ground however I didn't because I read the owners manual and says not to do this. anyone know why that is? Every now and then I see someone towing with there outboard completly tilted. I feel compelled to do so too because I'm always worried it's going to bottom out on some big bumps on the road. There really isn't a whole lot of clearing between the road and the bottom of my outboard

I use this. It works great for trailering and supports the motor in a tilted position (it doesn't go way up though):

Yamaha F115 Accessories, Yamaha F115 Outboard Trailering Support

bob

Comment

In my motor splash well I keep a length of pine timber 3x2 and Tilt the motor and put the timber across in the same place as the support shown and bring the motor tilt down and let it settle firmly on the soft wood .Never moves supports the motor and is real cheap !!

Comment

Originally posted by tunnels View Post
        In my motor splash well I keep a length of pine timber 3x2 and Tilt the motor and put the timber across in the same place as the support shown and bring the motor tilt down and let it settle firmly on the soft wood .Never moves supports the motor and is real cheap !!
        While that may work, I believe the Yamaha support (I think identical to m-ywedge ) is better for two reasons:

1) There is more compression on the piece of rubber so it acts more like a shock absorber than wood and the motor will not lose support.

2) The wedge fits into the trim rod so it will not fall off or scratch your motor's paint finish.

bob
        Last edited by wisebob; 09-13-2009, 01:39 PM.

Comment

What's wrong with using the ever popular Swivl Eaze? I thought this was considered the standard.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...5-10-1#reviews
          Last edited by rkmartin; 09-13-2009, 04:48 PM.

Comment

i don't think there is any problem with the swivl eaze. i use it every time i trailer my boat. provided you keep your boat firmly secured to your trailer, it keeps the entire system (boat/trailer/motor) as one unit. seems like both are accepted ways to tow your boat. just pick your preference... my 2cents.

jeffery

Comment

Working...
            X