Garage Sale 4 HP Outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Sale 4 HP Outboard

Last summer I bought a 4HP 2-stroke yamaha outboard at a garage sale. The model number is 4MSHS, a 1994 model.

I am wanting to put it to some use on this summer on small mountain lakes. The outboard looks brand new, and the seller said it had less than 50 hours on it. It had not been used for a few years, but the seller started it up for us and it appeared to run fine.

I don't know anything about outboards. So I bought a Clymer manual for it. One thing that is not clear from the manual is what type of maintenance I need to do on the cooling system.

I know that it has an impeller, sierra part number 18-3073 is listed for 4HP yamahas. Do these type of impellers need to be preemptively replaced the same way mercruiser I/O impellers are? (all my previous boating experiance has been on Merc I/Os) Should I replace it now, or just see how it runs?

Is there any other things you would do before running it? Replacing the gear oil? (can I use mercruiser gear oil?) Spark plugs?

One more thing-- does anyone know where I could obtain an owners manual for this outboard?

Just looking for a little advice

Thanks

Jared

Its not a bad idea to change the impeller and sparkplug out so you know for sure when it was changed last and can start some kind of maintenance record on it. You can order an owners manual as well as a service manual from here: http://www.yamahapubs.com/html/items...MSHS&x=68&y=12 . Just copy and paste that link to your browser and it should take you there. You can download free an owners manual from a '98 4hp if that'll help for now. But their free downloads don't go back to the '94 model year. There's probably not much difference. Go to www.yamahapubs.com and look under the tabs at the top of the page for owners manuals in the .pdf format. Good luck.

Mike....... Miami, FL

Comment

Working...
    X