Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 150etld

Good Day
    My "handle,gear shift" has rusted thru and broke. It looks like I have to remove the power head(how nice) to replace it, I have gone this deep on other makes but not Yamaha. any pointers?(stainless steel rod would have been nice)
    Thanks
    Kevin

A saltwater motor ?

Prior to '93 the shift rods were not even stainless steel (great idea Yamaha...). The replacement ones are all stainless now. Use six point wrenches and sockets on the bolts, not 12 points.
    Was the motor used in saltwater? If so you'll need a good torch and a lot of metal epoxy to rework the thread holes once you get it apart. How good are you at drilling out busted off bolts? A large drill press comes in handy for this. One large enough to set the powerhead on and work around all the busted off bolts. If the motor NEVER saw saltwater you might get lucky and only bust off a couple of bolts. When you reassemble the motor make sure to use stainless bolts and anti-seize on the threads. It's a job you will long remember. You might actually find it easier to buy a later model motor and forgo this exercise altogether.

- Mike

Comment

1990 150etld

Yes sad but true it is a salt water motor. It was well maintained and I have broken off to bolts at the head thank god it is a goo power head(low hours and leg. Are those six bolts on the side and two at the rear the only ones holding the power head on or is there any hidden ones/
      Thanks
      kevin

Comment

Help I'm going to hurt it!

Ok I've got the 6 bolts off the side the two on the rear and the 2 bolts and 2 nuts off under the intake. I have been working with wedges at the rear and have the motor come along'ed tto the shop rafters. She no move so.... keep up the good work or?
        tanks
        kevin

Comment

That's all there is...

That's all there is. Has the powerhead been removed before? Because normally you would've snapped some bolts if they had been in a saltwater motor for almost 20 years. You'll just have to go slowly around the base of the powerhead and see where it's hangin up. Did you already pull the lower unit off? If not, do that.

- Mike

Comment

the 2 bolts you broke off, are they broke off at the head of the bolt or down deeper?
            I have seen the corroded shaft part of the bolt wedge the power head on so tight that its like the bolts were still there. You may have to drill them out if that is the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X