'87 yamaha 225 V6excelHX outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '87 yamaha 225 V6excelHX outboard

need some help from anyone with prior experience with this motor, or similiar situation.

Last several years worked great. This year, problems suddenly occurred with shifting motor into proper gear. i believe linkage in gear shift assembly could be problem. For instance, when shift into nuetral, went into reverse. When shift into forward, grinding sound as if trying to engage, but not engaging. An inspection of the cables looks OK. The inspections of the gear shift assembly on the surface might be the problem with corrosion or a slippage of some sort. I since orded some respective parts to change.
    Any other ideas as to what and where the problem may be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

unhookcables from engine and engage both forward and reverse while running and ensure it can maunally .if so you may have a weakened/rusted shift shaft or gear issues .if it works fine there its a simple adjustment of the cables. visually inspect the shift shaft at the midsection above the lower unit as the older models had steel ones instaed of the newer stainless ones.

Comment

Thanks JB!

Comment

Yes prior to '93 Yamaha used a plain steel shift shaft. If yours is the stock one you did very good to get this long out of it. All the replacement shift shafts are stainless. You have to pull the powerhead to replace the shaft. A good marine mechanic will get about $500-$750 to do the job. Expect lots of broken bolts if that powerhead has never been removed before. If you look in the dictionary under "pain" you'll find a discription of this job.

Mike....... Miami, FL

Comment

Thanks, Hamfisted!

For some reason I suddenly feel lighter in the wallet pocket....oh well, what must be done needs to get done....at least it beats the cost of a new one...

Comment

Working...
          X