Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compression results.....what do they mean??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression results.....what do they mean??

I'm looking at purchasing a 225 Aquasport that is equiped with a 2004 Yamaha 200 hpdi with 55 hrs. Although I've boated as a kid and youngman, its been twenty years, and I still feel very much a novice. The marina has run a compression test on the engine with the following results:
    1 - 125
    2 -120
    3 - 115
    4 - 120
    5 - 120
    6 -110

Can anyone tell me if these results are what should be expected?
    How's the history on this model engine?
    Should I be concerned about low hours? (I can't believe I just asked that!)
    What should I expect from this engine in the long run?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Ideally, they should be within 10 % lowest to highest--that 110 is a little low. Maybe have compression taken again, just to be sure? maybe the 125 was too high.....

Comment

the compression numbers sound fine, however 2 strokes particularly fuel injected ones need to be ran. that being said i would insist that the selling owner/marina completely goes through the fuel system. i.e. fuel filters, check cleanliness of tank, vst on motor cleaned, and all motor side filters be changed. ethanol casuses alot of problems for hpdi motors trust me i own one. but they are great motors and have alot of power just make sure all factory updates are installed. i highly recomend taking it to a current yamaha dealer with techs that have training in hpdi motors, and ethanol for that matter. just my $.02

Comment

Thanks. The marina is a Boston Whaler dealer, so I believe their technicians are Yamaha certified. I will go over everything you suggested with them. Your input is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X