Hard Starting 60 TLRZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Starting 60 TLRZ

First of all, I hope I am Posting this properly.......

Next, and more important.
    I have a 2001, 60 2 stroke, with prime start. Bought it used two seasons ago. It runs great when it runs, but it has always been hard to start when it is cold.
    I cleaned the carbs, with no improvement. (actually, it improved the way it runs, but not the way is cold starts).
    After searching this forum, I am leaning toward the prime start selenoid.
    I have removed it, to clean, then put it back. No obvious reason for it not to work. It has two wires. Black to the chassis ground, and Blue, to the magic box. I touched the blue wire to 12v, expecting to hear a click, or feel the selenoid jump....nothing.
    I fight with this every time I hit the water. playing with the "Open Closed Emergency" lever on the prime start. Spraying gas, or WD40 in the carb throats. I havn't found the right combination to get it started. sometimes it takes 3 minutes of intermittent cranking. sometimes I have half the engine apart before it fires up.....after that, we enjoy the rest of the day.

So.....am I testing the selenoid correctly ?
    Is there a way to manually choke this engine, to get it running ?
    or, am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

See if this thread will spread a little light on the subject of prime start systems

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....ht=prime+start
    Last edited by 99yam40; 09-02-2009, 08:39 AM. Reason: link did not work

Comment

Great link with good info.
      Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X