Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor not running

i have a1988 225hp two stroke very hard to turn over,have good spark,
    compression. I think its in bearring of power head, not sure.
    trying to fix myself. How to tell?

Could be a bad battery, bad battery cables or starter dragging.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

pull the spark plugs. if it turns over freely then you know its not a mechanical problem. its possible you have a torn diaphram on one or both of the mechanical fuel pumps. if you are looking at the front of the motor they will be on the right hand side attached to the block with two bolts take them off leaving the hose on the motor in in other words remove the pump completely from the engine. then blow through both nipples . you should be able to blow fairly freely one way and none at all the other. if you can blow freely through it both ways then you have found your problem. the reason i suggest this is because it sounds as if your motor is spininng but flooding out before it can actually start and run. And the other theory is that gas could be leaking into the block from said diaphram and dramatically boosting the compression, to a point where the motor actually hydrolock in sorts. but dont be worried the pumps are cheap and easy to install. if you find nother wrong with the pumps then you do as boats.net said and check the electrical side of the engine as well as the boat and batter.

Comment

Working...
      X