Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 115 2 stroke - no spark when cold but spark when temp heats up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 115 2 stroke - no spark when cold but spark when temp heats up?

I recently bought a 1995 yamaha 2 stroke 115hp engine and have trouble starting it in the morning. I live in the tropics (Honduras) and the engine runs fine except for in the morning the engine won't start (no spark) but by 11:00 when the sun is beating down on the engine and it is heated up the engine will start no problem with visible spark. Once it is running there won't be any more trouble until the next morning. This has been consistent for the last month.

I've tried a different yamaha control box and another loom and I have traced all the wires and there are no shorts, fuses or anything wrong that I can see. I have had 2 mechanics look at it and both didn't fix it. The flywheel has been removed and all connections were cleaned of corrosion and everything seems fine. I think I've narrowed it down to either the pulser coil or the stator but both parts are very expensive and was wondering if anyone else ahs ever had this problem or if there is a way to test either of these parts.

have you tried unplugging 10 pin main harness and remote starting it?

Comment

To remote start you mean just connect battery power to the starter by jumper cables or a lead?

If it does start like this than there is a problem with the loom?

Comment

if it starts and runs normally yes.and not lust the harness but all front end components.
        just another way to isolate your issue.

Comment

ok so i did it and still no start. Is there a way to test those 2 components (stator and pulser coil)?

Comment

Working...
          X