Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha '89 225 excel with mixed main jets #160 and #168 normal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha '89 225 excel with mixed main jets #160 and #168 normal ?

I recently pulled the carbs off for a thorough cleaning for the first time. ( I just got the boat a week ago) I made careful notation of linkage / needle adjustments etc during disassembly. What I didn't notice was there was a difference on the main jet stampings, half are 160# and the other 3 are 168#. I assume at this point that the engine has been overhauled and half the cylinders have over-sized slugs in them. Through the chem-dip processing, I have no idea which side of the carb the 160 goes and which side gets the 168. (blame it on the fumes I guess, I should have known better)

I didn't know it had been gone through or I would have checked it closer. I am assuming it lost cooling on one bank and cooked things at some point.
    Is there any way to tell which side needs the larger jet or is this all normal and one side always gets a larger jet and/or different needle settings as I have seen in other posts. What is the proper baseline of the needle settings for this anyway? Amazon is out of the manual for these older engines.

Thanks in advance.
    Dan

Anyway the teardown was for extremely poor idle that improved with addition of choke. Top end was great. Inspection of bowls showed some varnish - 1 year since a shop did the carbs, mostly clean, looks like they missed cleaning everything completely as some of the buildup was far older than most. Half of the idle feeds of the bowls were clogged, mains were clean.

The 168 goes in port side and 160 on starboard side of carbs, Here is link to parts listing on carbs Yamaha Outboard Parts 1989 V6 EXCEL LF CARBURETOR Diagram
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X