Emergency Fuel Enrichment (choke switch) 90hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Fuel Enrichment (choke switch) 90hp

I have a 1998 90hp that has one of those red choke switches, on the middle carburetor, port side. It has 3 settings, "normal", "open", and "closed". From what I have read, in normal operation, when cold, it allows for additional fuel entry for starting, then as the unit heats up, a wax bead, expands, closing the unit, restricting the extra fuel flow.

I am having an issue in which my outboard will suddenly 'bog-out' after running WOT (I can run anywhere from 5 mins to 25 mins high speed, before it decides to bog-out......no rhyme or reason to it). I am trying to eliminate this choke switch as one of the problems, so I can continue to diagnose. When I put the switch to 'close', does that mean I am closing the fuel entry valve, and essentially acting like the unit does not even exist. Because when I have the unit on 'close', the engine starts just fine, and runs just fine, until it eventually 'bogs out', like I said. Again, it is my understanding that if I have the switch to 'closed' the fuel entry valve through the unit is closed, therefore acting like the unit does not exits. Is this correct??

Thanks for any and all help.

Closed position is no choke. Sounds like may have a fuel restriction in fuel lines, filter or pickup line in gas tank.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X