40 HP YAMAHA WONT START

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 HP YAMAHA WONT START

RECENTLY I ADDED POWER TRIM TO MY 40HP (2-STROKE). POWER TRIM WORKS FINE BUT ENGINE WILL NOT START UNLESS I JUMP ACROSS THE TERMINALS ON THE STARTER RELAY. THE STARTER RELAY TESTS OUT FINE WHEN CHECKING FOR CONTINUITY. KEEP IN MIND THAT I HAD TO CHANGE THE HANDLE ON MY CONTROLS FOR THE POWER TRIM. I HAVE CHECKED ALL CONNECTIONS AND NOTHING IS LOOSE. CAN ANYONE HELP?

Ghost,
    If you hear clicking of the starter relay when you turn the ignition switch to start position, then the relay is bad. If you hear no clicking of the relay, look for the two wires that go to the starter relay coil - one will be black (ground) and the other brown (could be another color, but is brown on my C115). The brown wire is the twelve volt command coming from your ignition/start switch. There should be a bullet disconnect about five inches from the relay. Disconnect it and check for the twelve volt command with a digital multimeter when the switch is in start position. If it is there, then the relay coil is bad. If it is not there, then the ignition/start switch or wiring is bad.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

KEN, THANKS FOR THE INFO. THE PROBLEM WAS IN THE START IN GEAR SAFETY SWITCH. IT HAD CRACKED AND BASICALLY CRUMBLED TO PIECES. THE SWITCH WAS BAD. I REPLACED IT AND IT WORKS FINE.

Comment

Working...
      X