1999 225hp ox66, trouble starting....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 225hp ox66, trouble starting....

starboard engine starts right up, runs fine....port engine, takes a long time to start.....5 tries, 8 seconds per try....once it starts runs fine, goes up on plane fine, runs wide open fine...

but if I shut it down after running a while and try to restart, again takes a long time even when warm.....and after running for a while, if I go back to idle at the dock, the rpms are low and it will stall out....I can get it restarted, takes a while, when it first starts, seems to smoke, but after 20 seconds or so smokes no more than the other engine, which is very little...

some recent maintenance...
    - using non ethanol gas
    - replaced all fuel filters...one on engine, and racor
    - replaced plugs, gapped properly
    - cleaned o2 sensor...was not that fouled up on inspection
    - check all plug wire grounds (but did not check spark or resistance yet)
    - new poppit valve, spring etc.
    - new thermostats

I use ring free...

any thoughts..

Probably need to check throttle body sycronization, idle speed and TPS.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

how old is the boat its self, particullarly the gas line from the tank to the engine. i believe you have a dirty vst on the motor. this is that big silver tank. there is a screen style filter insidde of it, it sounds as if that screen is dirty. i own 3 of these engines and this is the problem i have found. if when you take that tank apart the screen has a powdery black substance on it, check your fuel hose. but that is most likely the problem. if you would like send me a pm and i will give you detailed instructions on cleaning this tank. hope this helps

Comment

Working...
      X