2003 & Earlier F225 Overheat problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 & Earlier F225 Overheat problem

I have read where there are a number of F225's overheating due to an internal corrosion problem unique to 2003 and earlier engines. The cooling passages of these F225's rot from hot exhaust & salt water exposure. Apparently, the cooling passages for the exhaust were not coated properly and several 2003 and earlier Yamaha F225's are overheating due to corroded exhaust panels. In 2004, when the F225 went from 2 Star emmission to 3 Star, Yamaha improved the internal coating of the internal cooling passages of these newer motors (2004 and up).

Question: Since I have 2003 F225's - is there anything preventative that I can do to delay overheating problems? I understand flushing with FW has no effect since it is on the air exhaust side of the motor below the powerhead.
    Maybe next time I do a water pump change - somehow paint the panels? Seems futile. None the less - I'm worried and am looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance for your ideas...
    Grady-White 330 Express

The only way to get to them and paint it would be to remove powerhead, if you are going to do that might as well replace them.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks. That is what I was afraid of. Oh well, will just have to wait and see if it develops in my engines. I think I'll buy Hondas when "it" happens.
      Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

Working...
      X