flushing engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flushing engine

Yesterday I went out on a friends boat in salt water. When we retrieved the boat at the ramp & proceeded to hose the boat, he hooked the hose to a plug on rear of motor, a 150hp Merc, & started the motor. Now I have a 200hp OX66 Yamaha & was told when a hose is hooked to my motor for flushing DON'T run the motor. Is this correct & is it ok to run the Merc.

From what I have heard , if you do run a outboard motor with out a hose connected to the water intake for the water pump you are runnin the pump without water to lub it and it will hurt the inpeller. the hose conection on the motor is for flushing without running the motor, But I am not familiar with Mercs

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      From what I have heard , if you do run a outboard motor with out a hose connected to the water intake for the water pump you are runnin the pump without water to lub it and it will hurt the inpeller. the hose conection on the motor is for flushing without running the motor, But I am not familiar with Mercs
      Ear muffs over the water intake are what most people use or a tank to drop the bottom end into so you can run the motor after salt water use .

but some motors have screw that you take out , screw in a hose fitting and to just flush the motor without running it !

Comment

Originally posted by NATES View Post
        Yesterday I went out on a friends boat in salt water. When we retrieved the boat at the ramp & proceeded to hose the boat, he hooked the hose to a plug on rear of motor, a 150hp Merc, & started the motor. Now I have a 200hp OX66 Yamaha & was told when a hose is hooked to my motor for flushing DON'T run the motor. Is this correct & is it ok to run the Merc.
        If you have a hose hook up then I would say use that instead of muffs without running the motor. You flush the system much better...just look at you water pressure gauge when you do it. You would be lucky to see 5 psi with the muffs. I get 15psi with the hose screwed in and it doesn't matter if engine is cold or warm the water still gets through the water jackets.

Comment

Thanks Guys,
          For five years I have used the hose attachment WITHOUT running, & with enough pressure water will even come from the pee hose.
          I was mostly curious if it is OK for my buddy to run his Merc.

Comment

Well, let's bump this to the top again and hopefully a dealer will chime in. I may be screwing up. I run my motor with the hose hooked to the flushing attachment. If the earmuffs don't build enough pressure and your not suppose to run with the flushing attachment, how you suppose to work on the engine when it's not in the water. The tub thing is a major PIA. I don't believe the owners manual says ok or not.
            1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
            1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Tucker...which brand motor? I use muffs that feed both side pickups and always seem to have enough water to work on the Yamaha.

Comment

You can run it on 2 garden hoses, connect 1 to flush adapter and other one to ear muffs.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

yamahas position on running outboard motors from the flush adapter is this. dont do it. now here is why supposedly if you flush the engine with cool water right after it has been running it will break any corrosion free and prevent new. they make no mention of the w/p not having lube however im sure that is an issue too. i know on the ocen runner style omc's it was recommended that you do run it on the flush adapter and also the same with merc.

Comment

Yamaha very clearly state; "do not run the engine using the flushing adapter alone as water does not go through the water pump and the impeller can be distroyed after only a few seconds of dry running"

Incidentally there is another port lower down on the leg, you can remove the plug and screw in an additional flushing hose there (Yamaha provide the fitting - but it has to be removed after flushing and replugged). Perhaps some folk are thinking of that rather than the one going directly into the block that Yamaha refer to in the quote above.

I do not believe the water temperature has much effect as you are sucking in cold seawater under normal operating conditions anyway.

I like the idea of flushing throught the adapter and muffs at the same trime and have since made up a Y-hose to enable this
                    Cheers,
                    Timbo
                    Last edited by Timbo down under; 08-25-2009, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X