250 SX TXRY Salt & Calcium Buildup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 SX TXRY Salt & Calcium Buildup

I was replacing the thermostats in my year '2000 250 SX TXRY that has 190 hours of running time in salt water. Inside the thermostat housing was a large amount of salt scale and calcium buildup. My questions are:
    1) Is it advisable to scrape this out or will small particles plug up the passage?
    2) Does running the engine dissolve any of the salt build up?
    3) Does this indicate that the entire water jacket has the same amount of build up inside of it?
    Thank you.

Get some "SALT AWAY" engine flush additive and flush engine out.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

What is the best way (procedure) to use this product to flush my engines? Should I pour some into each thermostat housing and let it gravity feed into the block and then run the engine? The boat is kept year round in the ocean and I have spoken to other engine owners in the area who say that they never fresh water flush their machines because the water muff would be underwater when you tried to flush.
      Thank you.

Comment

Your motor should have the fresh water flush attachments on bottom engine cowling that can be used to flush with.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Would you know if there is a diagram available online so that I can figure out where and how to make this work. As you can probably tell, my outboard mechanic skills are at the beginner level.
          Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Comment

Originally posted by VANGRADY View Post
            I was replacing the thermostats in my year '2000 250 SX TXRY that has 190 hours of running time in salt water. Inside the thermostat housing was a large amount of salt scale and calcium buildup. My questions are:
            1) Is it advisable to scrape this out or will small particles plug up the passage?
            2) Does running the engine dissolve any of the salt build up?
            3) Does this indicate that the entire water jacket has the same amount of build up inside of it?
            Thank you.
            yes I would advise you to clean up everything you can but try to keep everything out of the motor possible. If it is real bad think about pulling other parts and cleaning. Buy a manual and see what it recommends for PPM. there maybe anodes in the water jackets that need replacing and allows for cleaning passages with the heads off.
            I believe flushing with fresh water or running in fresh water will dissolve salt but not mineral build up
            I would believe that if it is in one place it will be all over the inside of the water jackets
            Salt away is a product I have not used before and I do not know the best way to use it. Maybe read the label and see what it says to do

Comment

Working...
            X